Brexit: advice for travellers
July 10, 2019

Many of our clients are asking us about Brexit, and how it might affect people’s travel arrangements. To be honest, it all comes down to the final agreements, and it seems we’re a long way from that happening. But here’s what co-operative travel know so far (as of July 2019).

  • The Brexit extension to 31st October means all current travel arrangements will be unaffected. This means;
  • You will still have access to state medical care in any EU country as long as you have an up to date European Health Insurance Card.
  • Pet passports remain valid.
  • If you plan to drive in the EU, you won’t need an international driving permit.
  • You will be able to pass through UK ports and airports as usual, using the EU passport gates.
  • Consumer rights extending from EU laws, including airline compensation and the ability to use your mobile abroad without additional charges, remain unchanged.

If we leave the EU with a deal.

If we leave the EU on 31st October with a deal, there will be a transition period for the UK, where everything will continue to remain the same and you can travel as you do now. This transition period will last until the end of December 2020.

The details of this agreement are yet to be finalised, but will likely address some or all of the points listed below – those issues that we know would come from a ‘no deal’ Brexit.

If we leave the EU with no deal.

If the UK leave’s the EU without a deal, we have been given various assurances around future flights and visas but nothing confirmed at this stage. For example;

  • We know planes will still fly between the UK and the EU, even without a deal.
  • We know ferries and cruise ships will still sail between the UK and the EU.
  • We know coaches will still travel to and from the EU.
  • Even without a deal, the European Parliament has confirmed that UK travellers will not need a visa to travel the EU, providing it is for less than 90 days every 6 months.
  • European Health Insurance Cards will no longer be valid if we leave with no deal.
  • It is likely UK driving licenses will not be adequate for driving abroad if we leave with no deal. An International Driving Permit will need to be acquired. They are available from the post offce for £5.50.
  • Pet Passports will likely no longer be valid, but pets will be able to travel abroad with special permission from an Official Veterinarian if given at least 4 months notice from the date they’re needed to travel.
  • Mobile phone charges are currently fixed at UK rates when travelling the EU. This will likely no longer apply if we leave with no deal, though some suppliers have promised to keep the rates the same for their customers. Best to check direct with your mobile provider.

Travel Protection.

The best way to protect future holiday bookings, particularly whilst Brexit is hanging over us, is to buy holiday packages from a travel agent like us here at co-operative travel.  This will ensure your booking is covered by ABTA protection. You should also pay particular attention to the relevant section of your travel insurance.

For more information on ABTA, specifically over Brexit, check out their site HERE.

Become a Co-op member!

When you invest just £1, you can become a Chelmsford Star Co-op member and earn membership points for your holiday booking.

This means you’ll earn money back when you travel with us that can go towards your next break (or spent in Quadrant department stores or local Co-op food shops)!

Finding your perfect holiday

Book with confidence